Ways to Give Back Over the Holidays

How do you choose to serve your community?
Dreamstime
Volunteer and Give Back; Free stock photo from Dreamstime

With the holidays right around the corner, people are beginning to prepare. However, not everyone has the same opportunities to succeed during the busy, costly time. To help, you should give back to your community!

Feeding America’s article, “Seven ways to give back during the holidays,”  shares different ways you are able to give back to the community. While people struggle everyday with money and providing for themselves or family, the holiday adds a little more pressure. Something you can do is set up a food drive for your local food bank in town. Once it gets closer to the holidays, you can bring all of your family together to make a trip to the food bank to deliver different types of food for families in need. Another way to give back to the community is by volunteering for different charities in and around your town. 

Did you know that 50% of food banks are strictly run by volunteers? Although, helping others in need during the holidays will leave a warm feeling for you and your family, organizations still struggle to find people who are willing to help. To be a better advocate, you can learn about the different types of anti-hunger policies and how you are able to contact them for any help needed. Adding on to that, you should also explain your knowledge of the topic and explain why you would like to volunteer in helping others. This will allow others to realize the great benefits that come from volunteering.

An article on the website “Camille Styles” provides even more ways to give back. One simple way is donating old clothes. A majority of people have large amounts of clothes in their closet that they don’t often wear. Now is the perfect time to de-clutter that closet. In the cold weather, people struggle to keep warm, and some even struggle to find shelter.  Warm clothes would most certainly make a difference in the lives of these people. Any type of coat, sweater, scarf, hat, and glove are highly appreciated. Even if you just have an old pair of gloves or shoes laying around, donate them! Not everyone is able to afford these needed items. To donate, look online for any local coat drives or clothes drives in the area.

This holiday season, whether it be big or small, try to give back to someone in need.  There is always something to do, all you have to do is start! Have a happy and safe holiday season!