The Philadelphia Phillies

Near-end of Season Update
CBS Sports
The Phillies celebrate after clinching the #1 Wild Card spot!

Coming off an unforgettable 2022 season, the Phillies are trying to do it all again, but better. During the offseason, the Phillies made several improvements to their roster, the biggest being Trea Turner, whom they signed to an 11-year, 300 million dollar deal. The Phillies also signed closer Craig Kimbrel, starter Taijuan Walker, and reliever Matt Strahm.

After Rhys Hoskins tore his ACL in spring training, Phillies fans had little hope as they had only a 15-16 record come May 2nd. On May 2nd, franchise right fielder Bryce Harper came back surprisingly early from a UCL tear last season. Despite a 13-1 loss on that day, some hope was restored.

By the All-Star break, the Phillies had a 48-41 record which put them second in the National League East and in good position for the Wild Card. The Phillies had two All-Stars this year, Nick Castellanos and Craig Kimbrel. The Phillies also had two terrible performances from Trea Turner and Bryce Harper.

However, on August 4th, Trea Turner stepped up to the plate. Turner had started with his worst season ever, only having a .657 On-Base Plus Slugging Percentage (OPS). Unexpectedly, the home crowd gave him a standing ovation. That day he notched a hit, and the next day he hit a home run. Ever since that day, Trea Turner has turned his season around to his usual All-Star caliber. Bryce Harper too heated up in August with a barrage of hits and home runs.

Currently, the Phillies are 89-70 and have clinched the number one Wild Card spot after a very close game. The Phillies will most likely be playing the Arizona Diamondbacks in the Wild Card round. With great seasons from Kyle Schwarber, Nick Castellanos, Bryce Harper, and Craig Kimbrel, the Phillies are in a good position to go deep into the playoffs and hopefully the World Series.