The Chomp

The Student News Site of Gateway Regional High School

The Chomp

The Chomp

The VFW Visits Parkview

A Memorial Day Presentation
Benjamin Bittner
Eager students listening to Ben and Andrew give their presentation!

On May 23rd, 2024, Gateway Regional High School students and the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 5579 members Benjamin Bittner, and Andrew Archer paid a visit to Parkview Elementary School to discuss and educate grades 5th – 6th learners about Memorial Day for the VFW.

Archer and Bittner discussed multiple topics all revolving around the subject of Memorial Day. Some of these topics included: The sacrifice symbolism of poppies, what not to do with the flag, how to fold the flag, what each fold means, the Patriot’s Pen writing contest, and what Memorial Day means to them.

While explaining the meaning of poppies and how we use them to honor veterans, Bittner, as well as other teachers, helped hand out poppies for the students to keep.

Ben and Andrew speaking to Parkview elementary students with the VFW

Bittner stated from his experience, “It was gratifying to be able to talk about Memorial Day to the younger generation, as well as witness the variety of their responses. I am utmost grateful to Parkview and the VFW for giving us this opportunity.”

After the presentation, Archer shared, “I had a lot of fun, and I’m glad I was able to speak about Memorial Day as it means a lot to me. Thank you, Parkview, and the VFW.”

We hope everyone was able to have a relaxing Memorial Day filled with remembrance and celebration!

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Chomp

Your donation will support the student journalists of Gateway Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.