In Review: The 2023-2024 School Year

Students and teachers share their year’s highlights

September faded into June in the blink of an eye, and in just a few short weeks the 2023-24 school year will come to an end. This year may have been better for some than others, but many are leaving with fond memories. From going into 8th, to seniors graduating and starting a new chapter – this year has been different for all. One thing we all have in common is enjoying at least one part of this year. 

Starting with the students, many had memorable experiences to share.

I asked freshman Aiden Feaster what his favorite part of the year was, and he gave one of the most specific responses I got, “My favorite part was my algebra project where we made a board game that was math-related. I got to make it with my friends and make it like D&D. I got to draw Dave the magical cheese wizard.”

When asking 10th grader, Amelia Long, it took her a moment to respond, but eventually, she shared her favorite memory, “My favorite part of the year was the sophomore field trip.”

11th grader Evelyn Haynes shared, “I liked prom – it was fun, and the venue was nice.”

Seniors have a lot going for them, some of them still have things to look forward to this school year – like Mia Peeke, who said, “It hasn’t come yet, but I’m really excited for the senior elementary school walk tomorrow.”

Teachers and staff around the school enjoy different parts of the school year in their own ways. Some just enjoy the students, others enjoy events.  For Mrs. Buehler, the organizer of the Builders Club, many of her fondest memories came from there! 

She explained, “The trips that I run for the Builders Club, and 3 of them stood out. The Ocean City one where we make sandwiches, Read Across America, and – well this is an activity not a trip, but the easter egg hunt. They all went well, and I always look forward to them.”

While these next few aren’t teachers – they are prominent staff members in the Gateway community. Mrs. Kimmy, the well-known hall monitor, had a couple of favorite moments saying, “Spring break, cause we had one this year – or the indoor percussion performances.”

Mrs. Ziegler, a prominent member in guidance, didn’t have a specific moment, more like an ongoing event, “seeing the students,” she said, “seeing how they grow from September to June. They don’t see the change – but we do.”

Moving onto Mrs. Bially, who does more than meets the eye for the Gateway community, had many favorite moments throughout the school year, “I loved being a part of the 5k and just having the community join together, and I loved the Global Family Fun Night – that was such a fun night. The musicals were great too! I also really enjoyed getting to know the students that pass in and out of the library!”

Overall, no matter if you’re ready to step into the journey of college, a gap year, or another year here at Gateway, this year is one you’ll remember. For those finishing off their final year, The Chomp wishes you the best of luck in your future away from Gateway. For those continuing here, next year will hopefully be great too! But this year has been crazy fun.

View Comments (2)