The Newest AP Programs at Gateway!

Are you up for the AP challenge?
A creative collage representing some of Gateways new AP courses for students to get excited about
Abria Joshua
A creative collage representing some of Gateway’s new AP courses for students to get excited about

Gateway offers many interesting and challenging Advanced Placement (AP) classes for students, and they have three new AP classes next year: AP Chemistry, AP World History, and AP Computer Science Principles. AP classes are classes that you take in high school that can earn you college credit through the College Board. 

AP Chemistry

Ms. Harvey is going to be teaching the new AP Chemistry course come fall 2024! If you have any questions for her you can find her at [email protected] or in room 311. 

AP Chemistry is an introductory course to college-level chemistry, with a mix of traditional learning and about ten collegiate-level labs. Students can expect to learn about the structure of the atom and atomic properties, bonding principles, intermolecular forces, chemical reactions, kinetics, thermodynamics, equilibrium, and acids and bases. AP Chemistry will be math-heavy and it is recommended that students have a strong math and science background prior to enrolling in the course.

Ms. Harvey recommends AP Chemistry,  “… for anyone who is planning to major in Chemistry, Biology, or Physics at any post-secondary institution. This course is also a good introduction for those who are thinking of pursuing a career in the medical field, such as those desiring to be doctors, veterinarians, or registered nurses.”

AP World History 

The new AP World History class is coming to us courtesy of Ms. Payne! You can email her at [email protected] with any other questions about AP world history.

AP World History covers c. 1200 CE to the present, and talks about the cultural, economic, political, and social developments that changed the world. There will be some required reading outside of class, but most of the writing will happen during class time. 

AP World History is way more than just memorizing dates! Ms. Payne said, “Knowing dates is not really what history is about anymore! Now, you need to be able to put events in context, i.e. WWI happened before WWII, but you won’t need to know any specific dates.”

AP World History is a great AP to take even if you do not plan on going to college for history. It teaches students how to write, think, and communicate effectively and critically. AP World History can help students learn time management, formal writing, and is useful for any career with written communication.

AP Computer Science Principles

AP Computer Science Principles is going to be taught by Mr. Gehringer. You can reach him at [email protected]

AP Computer Science Principles is a college-level introduction course to computing and the field of computer science. Roughly half of class time will be spent on-screen programming and the other half will be spent learning computer science concepts. AP Computer Science Principles will cover “creativity [in computer science], an exploration of data, how to program, computer systems and networking, and the impact of computing on the world.” Students should have a strong understanding of Algebra before taking this course. 

Mr. Gehringer recommends the class for students interested in business, computer science, engineering, science, and anyone interested in computing concepts and programming. 

Gateway is excited to offer these new AP classes for the next school year! If you have any more questions you can email the teachers or the guidance counselors for more information. Good luck on your AP adventures!