The Chomp

The Student News Site of Gateway Regional High School

The Chomp

The Chomp

The Myth of Cupid

The Ancient Greek Origins of Valentine’s Day’s Iconic Cupid
Hazel Foster
Hazel Foster’s cat, Potato, has a cupid-like personality–purrfectly loveable but also a little bit naughty. She will tug on your heart-strings for sure, and her furry magic will enthrall you!

Valentine’s Day is a widely spread holiday which provokes many different reactions and opinions. Some love the colors and believe it’s a fun, love-filled holiday for all. Others find it as a way for those in happy relationships to mock those who aren’t so lucky in the realm of love. But ignoring the commercialization of this holiday – to some it surrounds one person..or idea. 

That is, of course, Cupid. Cupid, or ‘Amor’ is the son of Venus/Aphrodite (the ancient Greek goddess of love). Whether you believe in Cupid or not, the idea of him is quite an interesting one. He is, or was, thought to be a more slender young boy with wings who is carrying a bow and arrow. Though in more times he is thought to be more of a cherub. There is a story that accompanies Cupid.

The story is that Cupid’s mother, Aphrodite, was so jealous of a beautiful mortal girl named Psyche that she instructed Cupid to make Psyche fall in love with a monstrous, hideous person. Although, when Cupid tried to complete his mothers wish, it backfired. He ended up falling in love with Psyche instead or making her fall in love with someone ‘monstrous’. Cupid became so in love and filled with such admiration for Psyche that he married her, disobeying his mothers wishes. 

AI image created by Magic Media on Canva (Laurel Rose Barrett)

When Cupid decided to marry Psyche there was one condition – she could not look at his face. This condition was non-negotiable for Cupid. And after some time, Psyche’s wonder got the best of her and she ended up taking a glance at Cupid’s face despite his clear wishes. Cupid got so enraged at her that he left in a moment of rage.

Years went by, and Psyche searched the world in search of a new lover, during her time searching she got reunited with Cupid and they fell back in love, and because they were reunited Psyche was also gifted the trait of immortality. 

The myth of Cupid surrounds love, wishes and betrayal – which many people in modern times also associate with love/Valentine’s day. Whether you’re single, heartbroken, or smitten this Valentine’s day, it’s still interesting to know the story of the icon surrounding the holiday. Happy Valentine’s Day!!

Resources: https://www.history.com/news/who-is-cupid *There is another story that is very well-known, and if you are interested in that story, click this link!*