The Chomp

The Student News Site of Gateway Regional High School

The Chomp

The Chomp

Come for Philadelphia, Stay for Philly

What makes Philly great!
Allison Eckstein
A nighttime skyline of the city of Philadelphia captured by the writer

“It’s a clash of cultures and traditions, and people of all backgrounds are brought together by their differences. It defines you,” ~ a random Uber driver.

This is a quote from a taxi that drove me through New York on a rainy spring day two years ago. Though I never wrote it down, I have never forgotten it. With everyone in love with New York, I thought I would shed a little light on its smaller sister city, Philadelphia. Known for being the home of the cheesesteak, obnoxious fans, and an unideal amount of crime, Philly just so happens to be a modern example of America in itself. 

When people think of Philly they think about the crime, blaring car horns, and the stench of pee that, you don’t quite know where it came from, but it seems to follow you wherever you go. Sure, these things aren’t exactly alluring, but underneath all of that lies the real reason people love Philly. You don’t come to the city for upper-class snooty places, you come for the grit, and Philadelphians have fully embraced this fact by going so far as to name their ice hockey mascot after it – Gritty.

Regarding sports, Philly fans are supposedly of the worst kind. They loudly cheer for their team’s wins, even more loudly protest the losses, and aggressively defend their city’s team when criticized. By always supporting their teams Philly fans have got to be the best of the worst. 

If the sports of Philly don’t intrigue you then maybe the story of a very familiar fighter will, Rocky Balboa. His story is an inspiration with a story that encapsulates what Philly really is. He was the underdog, who rose to fame not through raw talent or money, but rather through his determination, hard work, and grit. He didn’t train with the fancy equipment in a gym but rather by punching meat in a freezer, throwing logs around in the snow, and, his most known, running the rocky steps in Philly. Many people will go to the art museum steps to run them in the hopes that they can know what he must have felt like, a man with all odds against him coming out on top. 

Though Philly may not be the most classy or clean place, the city is proud nonetheless. They take the insults and slander, the injury and belittlement thrown at them, and make it into a badge of honor they wear proudly, accepting all of Philly’s grease stains and spots. With a determination like no other and grit unmatched, Philadelphians are proudly defined by their city. With a smile on their face and curses at the ready, they proudly say “Yo, I’m from Philly”.  

Philly Suggestions:  

• German Village and Macy’s Light Show (Holidays)
  • Independence River Rink 
  • Reading Terminal Market (Several places featured on The Food Network)
  • Wissahickon Valley Park (hiking, biking, horseback riding)
  • Masonic Lodge 
  • Craftsman Row Saloon (for the milkshakes!)
  • Hidden River Outfitters (kayak by the Art Museum)
  • OF COURSE THE ART MUSEUM ROCKY STEPS
View Comments (1)
Donate to The Chomp

Your donation will support the student journalists of Gateway Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.