January at the Swamp

What’s to come?
Raw Pixel CC0
It’s a new year, so let’s get involved; Raw Pixel CC0 via Wikipedia Commons

Happy New Year to all students and members of the Gateway community! With the new year kicking off, in January we are introduced to a plethora of events here at Gateway, including club meetings, sports matches, trips, and school events.

January 2-7

So far Gateway’s first week back, January 2 – January 7th, consists of mostly club meetings, with a slight twist right in the middle. On Thursday, January 4th, a meeting about Mr. Gateway is being brought into the new year, welcoming a funny and entertaining event organized by the district, and allowing students to create their own entertainment. An interesting trip coming up this week on Tuesday is the for French Club! The French Club will be having a trip to enjoy some Bowling at Bowlero in Deptford. This week is also action-packed with activities for the Basketball teams for both teams, including the JV and Varsity levels. These matches against Collingswood, Woodbury, and Camden County can prove to be challenging although perseverance will prevail.

January 7-13

During this week, we have some interesting events, including the Student Council blood drive on Saturday, the NJASC Winter Convention at TCNJ, and Winter Track: Boys Varsity NJSIAA Relay Championships. It is quite exciting to see a championship, and we are all hoping for more this year! There are also many more matches for Wrestling, Winter Track, Basketball, and Swimming! The Indoor Percussion and Indoor Guard have a rehearsal on Monday from 6 pm-9 pm. The clubs that will be meeting this week are, (Tuesday) – the Aviation Afterschool Program, Diversity Club, HS Mock Trial, HS Book Club, Mr Gateway, (Wednesday) – Sign Language Club (Thursday) – HS Mock Trial Club, and Mr. Gateway.

January 15 – 21

This week proves to be quite similar to the others regarding club meetings, and sports matches against Camden County, Vineland, West Deptford, and Cherry Hill. All along this week, the Mr. Gateway meetings tend to stack up, meaning that it’s getting close to the time of entertainment for students, teachers, and parents. At the very end of the week on Friday, the Middle School Snowball Dance will take place in the Cafeteria from 7 pm-9 pm. On Wednesday, January 17th, there will be a Model United Nations field trip to the Penn Museum and Temple U Fox School of Business. 

January 22 – 28

With more sports events coming up this week against Woodbury (Girls Basketball), Camden Academy Charter High School (Swimming Varsity), Paulsboro (Boys Basketball), Audubon (Wrestling), and Lindenwold for both boys and girls basketball teams, it could prove to be a busy and fun week. On Saturday, January 27th, the HS Mock Trial Club will be attending a Mock Trial competition at Kingsway Regional High School against Glassboro High School. They will Leave Gateway at 8 am and return before noon. On Thursday, January 25th, there will be Instructional Rounds in the Lecture hall from 11 am to 12:15 pm.

January 29 – 31

In the last week of January, there will be a large amount of matches for almost every sport. The Boy’s Basketball team(s) will be playing Haddon Heights (MS), and Pennsville Memorial (JV). Pennsville Memorial (Varsity) on Monday, Audubon (MS), and Audubon (JV) on Tuesday. The JV Audubon will be the last match in January for the Boy’s Basketball teams. The Girl’s Basketball teams will be playing Haddon Heights (MS), Gloucester County Institute of Technology (Varsity), Gloucester County Institute of Technology (JV) (Time Changed) on Monday, Audubon (MS), Audubon (JV), Audubon (Varsity) on Tuesday. The last match of January for the Girl’s Basketball team will be the Varsity Audubon match on Tuesday. Finally, wrestling will be playing Deptford Township (MS), Deptford Township (JV), and Deptford Township (Varsity) all on Wednesday.

Let’s make January a great month at Gateway!

View Comments (1)