Tricia Sloan Dance Center Presents: The Nutcracker Ballet

A look inside the tradition
Anonymous Audience Member
A snapshot from a past year’s performance of Christmas favorite, The Nutcracker

Tricia Sloan Dance Center, a dance school located in Wenonah, NJ, is putting on their annual performance of The Nutcracker on December 15th, 17th, and 18th at the Scottish Rite Theatre in Collingswood, NJ. This will be the studio’s 20th performance of the ballet. The show will be put on by students, teachers, and professionals alike. 

Abby Williams, a junior at GCIT, was cast for Clara (the main character) for the December 17th show at 7pm. When asked about what she was most looking forward to as Clara she said, “I’m just really excited to perform the role I’ve wanted since I was little. Getting to do it alongside all of my friends makes it even more special.”

Caitlyn Synder, a senior here at Gateway, was Clara last year and this year is an ice princess, Arabian princess, and flower fairy for all 4 performances as well as the Harlequin Doll for the Saturday performance at 2pm. When asked about her favorite part of the Nutcracker season, she replied, “I love how The Nutcracker gets me into the Christmas spirit and created a tradition for my family every year to come see the show. Show week is also so much fun and I look forward to it every year!”

Tricia Sloan, owner of TSDC, used to dance in the performance, but now just choreographs and oversees the show. Before she decided to put on her own show, she performed in many other renditions of The Nutcracker. This year is a landmark as this will be the 20th time TSDC has performed the ballet.

When I asked her why she decided to put on her own show of The Nutcracker with TSDC she had said, “When I was 11 years old I performed in my very first Nutcracker. That experience of being in the cast, the music, the costumes, and sharing the stage with professional dancers changed my life forever. I was fortunate to also work with legendary choreographers and guest artists. My mom and sister were also a part of my childhood Nutcracker performing sharing the stage with me. Once my professional career ended we started our full length Nutcracker performances here at Tricia Sloan Dance Center 22 years ago. My mom, my sister, and I all strive to bring the magic of The Nutcracker to every dancer who performs and every audience member that attends our performances.”

This will be my 5th Nutcracker that I have performed in. It is such a fun experience to be a part of and to watch! This year I was cast as Marzipan Lead (first two shows), Russian Tamborine (last two shows), Lead Porcelain Doll (first show), and for all 4 performances I am a Snowflake and Lead Flower. 

Want to come experience the magic with us? Get your tickets here! Tricia Sloan Dance Center’s The Nutcracker