The Chomp

The Student News Site of Gateway Regional High School

The Chomp

The Chomp

Don’t Get Vaped In!

Jenny Hunt and Michael Regenelli Visit Gateway’s Middle School Health Classes
Laurel Barrett
Jenny and Michael discuss the countless flavors of e-cigarettes and why they appeal to America’s youth

This past week, Gateway Health classes were visited by Jenny Hunt and Michael Regenelli, representatives from Tobacco Free For a Healthy New Jersey’s initiative,  Don’t Get Vaped In. This program is designed to teach New Jersey’s youth how detrimental smoking can be to their health. The project stems from the alarming 75% uptick in teenage reports of e-cigarette use. Jenny and Michael led a Kahoot game that aimed to educate the students on the dangers of e-cigarettes in a lighthearted, fun way. 

Jenny explains the top three reasons why teenagers vape (Laurel Barrett)

The Kahoot discussed the reasons teenagers smoke, the nicotine and other dangerous chemical levels contained in e-cigarettes, why e-cigarettes attract teens the most, and much more. The students became very involved in the presentation, asking and answering thought-provoking questions, making connections, and sharing possible solutions to the teen smoking epidemic. 

As someone who attended one of these seminars, I believe that exposing all students to this program is very beneficial, as most teens who vape don’t truly understand the risk factors. As Jenny explained in the presentation, contrary to popular belief, “A pod in a vape is equivalent to an entire pack of cigarettes.” 

2nd period Health eagerly races to answer the first Kahoot question (Laurel Barrett)