The Chomp

The Student News Site of Gateway Regional High School

The Chomp

The Chomp

Meet John Morris and Mrs. Kimmy–Gateway’s Hall Monitors

Lets Celebrate Some of Gateway’s Unsung Heroes!
Lexie Kirwin
The 300 wing hall monitor station during a rare moment when it wasn’t overflowing with students

The first thing you see when going down to the bathrooms are the hall monitors. Hall monitors have a harder job than some may think. Watching over the bathrooms and hallways is very important in a school, and that’s exactly what Gateways hall monitors do.

John Morris is our 300 – 400 hall monitor. His setup is right outside of the bathrooms in the middle of the 300 wing. When asked what it is like being a hall monitor he said, “Boring and not much to do.”

Other than watching the halls, and bathrooms, and enforcing rules, the monitor’s jobs are restricted. Only the latter can be addressed when students are roaming the halls at random times.

Certain frustrations come with being a hall monitor, John Morris said, “Vaping and teenage attitudes are a common struggle.”

Students in all grades go up to our hall monitors and talk to them or others. Some even vape in the stalls, and the smell is terrible. It is a rule that no drugs are allowed, but adults cannot go looking for it within stalls because in the bathroom that could be described as a “privacy invasion.”

Positives are that the hours are good, so I can spend time with my family and kids. Negatives are I have to manage all the students and put up with them.

— John Morris, 300 Wing Bathroom Hall Monitor

Teenagers can be a lot, and hall monitors put up with all the misbehaving and wild kids in the hallway, but he does a great job at it. Mr. Morris is a great hall monitor who everyone loves!

Mrs. Kimmy, the 100 – 200 wing(s) bathroom/hall monitor, is another vital person at Gateway.

For her, there is “never a dull moment” when working. While overall it’s a great job, she said she dislikes it when kids come down to hang out rather than going to the bathroom. After all, that’s not what the bathrooms are for!

Mrs. Kimmie and Caleb Sobel, contributing writer, enacting 100 wing shenanigans (Lexie Kirwin)

We asked about the positives and negatives of being the bathroom/hall monitor, and Mrs. Kimmy said:

The positives are being able to get to know all of the wonderful kids at Gateway. The negatives are that the kids have trouble listening to directions.

— Mrs. Kimmy, 100/200 Wing Bathroom Hall Monitor

Mrs. Kimmy is a well-known, liked, and respected person and hall monitor at Gateway.

Our hall monitors have great communication skills but are also the perfect combination of stern and fun. Entertaining students and also keeping the halls safe is very important to have a happy and safe school day. They do a lot for Gateway Regional, and students could not be more thankful for them.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Chomp

Your donation will support the student journalists of Gateway Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.