The Chomp

The Student News Site of Gateway Regional High School

The Chomp

The Chomp

Film Review: Wonka

A Musical Reprisal
Abria Joshua
Abria’s brother, Matias, posing next to a photo the original film star, Willy Wonka, Gene Wilder!

In Paul King’s newest movie, Wonka, Willy Wonka (played by Timothée Chalamet) dances and sings across the screen as he attempts to start a new chocolate business in the big city. Filled with interesting twists and character development, Wonka sets itself up as a good prequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. 

In the movie, Willy Wonka travels to the chocolate hub of the world to set up his own store. However, once there he realizes that it will be a lot harder than he thought it would be. Faced with rival chocolate markers and tricky people around every corner Wonka must befriend those stuck with him. 

Wonka is a musical and very much follows the exaggerated singing and dancing typically seen on Broadway. This was Timothee Chalamet’s first time starring in a musical and he certainly adapted well. The songs are very catchy and often help the story move on. 

The editing does a great job of slowing down and speeding up to help give an authentic feel to the movie. In the end it does come off as a Broadway show turned movie, however that is not a negative thing when it comes to this genre. The story line takes a lot of creative liberties from the base in the book. It is very well done and keeps you interested as it is an unpredictable story line. While Wonka is not a groundbreaking movie, it is a very pleasant watch, and I do suggest that you see it!