Gateway Latin Students Attend NJ-JCL State Convention

A celebration of culture, history, and fun
Kelly Barrett
Gateway’s attendees of this year’s 2024 NJ-JCL’s Latin Convention, ready for a day of competition and fun

On Saturday, May 18th, a handful of eager Latin students from Gateway boarded the bus and embarked on their journey to Princeton High School to attend the annual New Jersey Junior Classical League State Convention.

Mrs. Cross’s Latin students, no matter the level, are always thrilled to spend their Saturday engaging in knowledge and art competitions, listening to expert speakers, and even watching chariot races. There is something for everyone!

Many members achieved state level awards!

Declan O’Connor, grade 9, won 1st place for Original Game (Kelly Barrett)
Ace Smith, GRHS 8th grader, won 2nd place for Original Myth (Kelly Barrett)
Laurel Barrett, GRHS junior, won 2nd place for original tee shirt design (Kelly Barrett)

The New Jersey Junior Classical League is a nonprofit with the goal of furthering the study and celebration of the Greek and Latin Classics in middle and high school. They work the whole year planning and fundraising for the Convention to make it as seamless and enjoyable for everyone come May.

If you are considering taking or switching to Latin, you are in for a blast! There is no doubt that it is a tricky language to master, but the fun and excitement along the way make it oh-so worth it.

You may even get to hang out with a groupie chaperone from Gateway’s English department.

Laurel Barrett, junior, and Mrs. Kelly Barrett, GRHS English teacher and Advisor to The Chomp. She attends so many of these as a colleague and friend of Mrs. Cross that we consider her an honorary member! (Laurel Rose Barrett)

Mrs. Cross is a very dedicated teacher who only wants to see her students be successful. Knowing it is a tricky class, she makes sure to feature the coolest creative projects in her curriculum, plenty of group collaboration work, and the study of not just the language, but also the history, culture, and mythology associated with Latin.

If you are looking for a community that is accepting, hilarious, dedicated, and amusing, taking Latin at Gateway might just be for you!

If you want all of the perks but are already invested in another language, you can also join Latin Club, which is open to all! Visit or email Mrs. Cross with any questions, and she will eagerly help you!

Salve!