Gateway’s Fall Musical: Elf!

A fantastic, family-friendly show
Kelly Barrett
From Left to Right: Lily Hoppe, Spencer Barrett, Kayla Clancy, Will Gentry, Shai Wallace, and Jack Patrick

On Saturday, December 9th, the cast of Gateway’s: Elf the Musical concluded their final showing! To call the performances fantastic would be an understatement. Despite the graduation of numerous senior cast members last year, current members, new and old, commanded the stage with such confidence and talent.

Senior Will Gentry starred as Buddy the Elf, and he couldn’t have done a better job. This character was vastly different from Will’s past roles, such as Captain Hook in Peter Pan and Professor Calahan in Legally Blonde, but as everyone expected, he blew the audience away with his comedic timing, grand stage presence, and easy chemistry with everyone else on stage.

Freshman Shai Wallace played Buddy’s mellow counterpart, Jovie. She stunned in her solo, “Never Fall in Love With an Elf,” and every dance she was a part of. She played Jovie true to who she is in Elf the movie and her confidence on stage was unmistakeable.

Jack Patrick, Mia Wenglicki, and Mason Diaz, junior, freshman, and seventh grader respectively, played the Hobb Family – Walter, Emily, and Michael, and could not have done a more amazing job. Jack’s sarcasm and demeanor as Christmas-hater Walter Hobbs were strong and comical, Mia impressed the audience with her booming vocals yet again, and Mason’s animated charisma and vocal conviction were extremely impressive.

It isn’t true that “Nobody Cares About Santa Clause”! Santa, played by Spencer Barrett, did a fantastic job opening and closing the show and telling the story of Buddy the Elf throughout. He and Mrs. Clause, played by eighth grader, Kayla Clancy, certainly were crowd-pleasers with their witty banter and sonorous duets. The Sad Santas were also hilarious with their dynamic dance routine!

A round of applause as well for the rest of the fantastic and talented cast who made the show as successful and adored as it was! The show also wouldn’t be possible without the efficient and dedicated stage crew! A standing ovation to Stage Managers Teddy Jenkins and Elizabeth Eimer who always keep everything running smoothly!

Junior, Allison Eckstein, served as the Student Director for this show and couldn’t have done a better job! Besides giving feedback to those on stage, she helped out as a member of the stage crew, aided in the designing of the set, and facilitated some of the speedy quick changes during the show. Additionally, she filled in for two cast members between the Wednesday matinee and Thursday’s show when they fell ill! Way to go, Allison!

As always, Gateway’s theater department couldn’t have done a better job in their fall performance of Elf: The Musical, even with the unfortunate threat of illness going around Gateway. We have such a talented group of kids, and the talent and courageousness keep replenishing every single year! Everyone who was a part of the production should be incredibly proud of themselves and everything they put into the creation of the show.

Thank you to Director Paul Sommers, Jason Straub, the Booster Club, and audience members for their guidance, attendance, and donations! See you in the spring for Seussical!