Nasa’s Scientific Approach to the Mystery of UFOs

Laurel Rose Barrett
Original Canva created by Laurel Barrett; UAP Data Collection – One of NASA’S Latest Projects

The ideas of aliens and Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) have always captured people’s interest. From horror movies to the internet joke of storming Area 51, UFOs will long linger in Americans’ hearts. But what does science say about UFOs? Who is better to ask than NASA, the leading group on all things space? 

NASA just published an independent study report on UFOs, also known as Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena, or UAPs. In this report, a group of professors and scientists looked at the current data available and identified gaps in the data. 

NASA’s knowledge of UAPs is not as extensive as most think. Devices and cameras that capture UAPs cannot collect the data that NASA needs. If NASA wants to be able to study UAPs, the cameras must produce a significant, high-quality dataset.

NASA is eager to study UAPs and the report has several ideas on collecting proper data. Currently, there is no system for the public to report UAPs, so NASA is losing a whole avenue for data collection. They suggested an app or website for reporting images and sounds. They also suggested working with the Federal Aviation Administration and their reporting system to develop a system for tracking potential UAP reports. 

For environmental monitoring devices and cameras, artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning will have to be integrated to properly scan large datasets to detect anomalies. One of the issues with AI and machine learning is that they have to learn from something. Trying to teach AI how to detect UAPs without a proper dataset is a losing battle. NASA has many earth-observing satellites, and the U.S. commercial remote-sensing industry will provide a ton of data once the detection system gets off the ground. 

The report did not theorize where UAPs are coming from. However, it did mention that if NASA were to collect information they might start seeing some patterns. Once they begin to see patterns they might find that some mundane environmental factor causes some UAPs. 

To continue and to put into practice what the report suggested, NASA announced they now have a director of research on UAPs.

This is the first time that NASA has taken concrete action to seriously look into U.A.P.

— NASA administrator, Bill Nelson

In fear of backlash and threats, they did not initially provide a name, but later revealed that Mark McInerney would take the role. He has previously worked for NASA on studying UAPs. This research into UAPs could change much of what we know about science, and NASA wants it to be a priority for the future.