The Chomp

The Student News Site of Gateway Regional High School

The Chomp

The Chomp

How to Make the Most Out of a School Year

Laurel Barrett’s Tips & Tricks
Laurel Rose Barrett
Organization and planning are essential to having a successful school year!

It’s that time of year again! While many dread the arrival of a new school year, I see it as a time to start fresh, get organized, and reintegrate a schedule back into my life. However, as someone who is very dedicated to academics and involved heavily in and out of school, this is much easier said than done.

I always like to say, “I love the idea of school, but not the stress of school.” In order to minimize that stress as much as possible and focus on truly learning, I have developed systems, utilized apps, and sought out products that make the hustle and bustle of a school day much more manageable.

As a faculty member’s child, I live pretty far from Gateway, meaning I have to wake up and leave earlier and arrive home much later than others. In order to maximize my time in the morning and in the afternoon, I use the Routinery app. It allows me to visualize my morning and night routines and set reasonable allotments for the time I devote to each activity, assuring that I get everything done with time left to relax. I love checking tasks off my to-do list or trying to beat my preset allotted time for certain activities so that I have more time to unwind.

I find that packing my lunch and backpack at night and laying out everything I need for the morning saves a lot of time, especially when I want to sleep in for a couple of extra minutes. I also try to get all of my homework done after school, usually after a thirty to forty minute break to reset from the busy day. It is important to stay organized, but even more vital to take breaks. The school day is draining, especially if you are super involved. Never be ashamed to get comfy and watch a show or catch up on social media on your phone for a small chunk of time after school!

As a forever lover of school supplies and stationery, I find that it motivates me to take better notes in school when I have colorful highlighters, fun pens, and sticky notes on hand. I recommend, especially if you are a paper person, to find school supplies and notebooks that make you excited to use them! I find it much easier to study when all of my notes are in one place.

If you are taking a class that requires lots of memorization, like AP Psych or AP Biology, I recommend using paper flashcards AND Quizlet. Quizlet is great since it allows you to play memorization games and has many features, but you can no longer access them without Quizlet Premium. However, if that isn’t in the cards for you, physical notecards are just as great. It is scientifically proven that hand-writing information helps you to memorize the information faster and better.

Be sure to invest in a thorough planner as well if you can. The transition from no deadlines to lots of deadlines is rough, but the best way to make sure you are on top of everything is to have a planner at the ready, whether it be physical or digital, where you can record assignments, to-do lists, and reminders about clubs, activities, sports, and more.

What is even more important than picking out pretty pens or creating a working routine is being confident in yourself and in your abilities. You may find yourself comparing yourself to others or feeling bad that something doesn’t come easily to you. But, in order to truly be successful in any endeavor, you must respect yourself, create goals, and be your true authentic self. You wouldn’t want to be anyone else.

People with self-respect exhibit a certain toughness, a kind of moral nerve; they display what was once called *character,* a quality which, although approved in the abstract, sometimes loses ground to the other, more instantly negotiable virtues…. character–the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life–is the source from which self-respect springs.

— Joan Didion, my favorite essayist

While school is fun and important, there will be moments of stress and emotion in which you will have to persevere. My advice is to take a moment to relax, come up with a game plan, and execute it until you’re back on your A game. There is nothing that you can’t overcome; you just have to try your best. You can do whatever you set your mind (or Routinery app) to!

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Chomp

Your donation will support the student journalists of Gateway Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.